Fireworks will be allowed this year, both professional and private fireworks. Over the last few years the changing laws and restrictions have created some confusion about what is allowed this year.
Public Fireworks Display
The city of Deer Park is sponsoring an Independence Day fireworks display on July 4th this year. Sponsored fireworks will be launched from the city’s Sports Complex across the street from the high school, located at 800 S Weber St. The show will start around 10pm, depending on darkness resulting from clear or cloudy skies. To avoid traffic, try to find a good parking spot early or walk into the area. Personal fireworks are not allowed on school grounds or city property.
As of this writing (June 28th, 2022) personal fireworks will be allowed within Deer Park City limit on personal property with permission from the owner. However, several people have the ability to change that on a very short notice. Fireworks can be purchased July 3rd and 4th from 7am to 8pm. They will not be sold in December, even though you can set off fireworks in celebration of New Years. Setting off fireworks is permitted on the 4th of July only from noon until midnight and December 31st from 5pm to half an hour past midnight. Fireworks can only be used.
Personal fireworks require a level of self control and preparation. Get involved with the local fireworks group to help spread awareness and education. https://www.facebook.com/groups/dpfireworks
- Don’t purchase illegal fireworks from the local reservations.
- Have a water hose nearby.
- Have a bucket of water to dispose of “duds” into.
- Don’t use fireworks near unmaintained land.
- Monitor children closely especially with hand held fireworks.
- Never hold close to your body or close your hand around a firework.
- Do not put used fireworks in the trash until they have soaked in water and cooled completely.
- Don’t throw fireworks.
- Never lean over mortar tubes.
- Don’t mix alcohol & drug use with fireworks.
- Don’t use fireworks indoors.
The illegal use of fireworks can result in a misdemeanor, arrest and/or fine. Damage caused by illegal use could result in felony charges.
Legal Fireworks Include:
- Helicopters & Aerial Spinners
- Smoke Devices
- Roman Candles
- Mine & Shell Cakes/Repeaters
- Ground Spinners
- Reloadable Mortars
- Novelties (Non firework devices)
Illegal Fireworks Include:
- Sky Rockets, Missiles, & Bottle Rockets
- Altered Fireworks
- Improvised Explosive Device
- M-80, M-100, Etc.
- Deer Park Municipal Code https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/DeerPark/#!/DeerPark08/DeerPark0834.html#8.34 Accessed June 27, 2022
- Washington Sate Legal Fireworks https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Fireworks-Stand-List-Legal-and-Illegal.pdf Accessed June 27, 2022
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – Fireworks https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Fireworks Accessed June 27, 2022
- Consumer Product Safety Commission – 2020 Fireworks Annual Report https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/2020-Fireworks-Annual-Report.pdf?ZSdvk_ep9au0QsqrAgL8S8_tA2LnAT7X Accessed June 28, 2022