Washington State Department Of Transportation (WSDOT) has been using text communications on your phone to update you on road conditions for a while. However, they have recently changed their system to no longer use texts, but to use their custom app.
To begin or continue receiving mobile notifications from WSDOT:
- Download the WSDOT app, available for iPhone and Android
- Tap the menu button (three horizontal lines)
- Tap notifications, then select the checkboxes for the ferries or counties for which you would like to receive notifications
Realtime notifications for your selections will be sent directly to your mobile device. The app also has features that include current pass conditions and border wait times.
WSDOT says they are making “the shift from text alerts to app notifications and email as part of a larger effort to ensure sustainability in how they share information and reduce costs.”
If you would additionally like to receive email updates from WSDOT, follow this link:
Text alerts will continue for the following:
- Hood Canal bridge openings (existing)
- Interstate bridge lifts (new, not yet created)
- Inclement travel conditions or high impact closures on I-90 over Snoqualmie pass (existing)
- High impact alerts on I-5 between Olympia and Tacoma (existing)