The Miss Deer Park Scholarship Program 2020 was a showcase for 8 extremely talented young women. Despite health concerns and crowd number limitations, the audience was energized and ready to cheer for each one of these amazing participants.
Dancing Through The Century
Miss Deer Park has been a continuing tradition since the 1950’s, and was not about to let a global pandemic get in the way. The normalcy of this event helped pageant-goers forget about their fears and the bitterly cold weather for just a little while.
As the young ladies were introduced and allowed their moment alone on the stage, it was easy to see that this was not simply a beauty pageant filled with glitz and glamour. Admittedly, there was a lot of sparkle, lace, and ruffles, but the true shimmer and light came as the audience was allowed to learn about each girl’s passions, aspirations, and wonderfully varied talents.
Local business and community members came together in a big way and generously donated a record breaking $8,650 for the scholarship fund.
Before Miss Deer Park and her princesses were announced, 7 $300 scholarships were awarded to a few deserving ladies.
- Receiving a scholarship for Scholastic Achievement was Isabella Sedana
- Awarded for the Judges’ Interview was Ainsley Carpenter
- Janessa Sexton was presented scholarships for both Presence & Composure, as well as the peer decided Spirit of Deer Park.
- Shaylee Overturf received the scholarship for Physical Fitness
- The Creative & Performing Arts, as well as the Bill & Betty Cox Community Service Scholarships were awarded to Hannah Moore
Once the scholarships were announced the tension in the room grew. The camaraderie that these 8 young ladies had built over the last couple of months became obvious.
Ainsley Carpenter was declared Miss Deer Park; Isabella Sedona and Janessa Sexton were chosen as the 2020 princesses.
Congratulations Miss Deer Park and Princesses! We look forward to following your journey and cheering you over this next year.
Congratulations to all of the young ladies; your talents and spirits shone brightly and brought hope in times of trouble. You are all the spirit of Deer Park.