Category: Community

Halloween During a Pandemic

What will Halloween look like amidst a pandemic? Although Governor Inslee hasn’t announced that yet, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has guidelines they believe will help keep everyone safe during the spooky season.

Read More »

Six-word story: October 2020

Each month’s prompt will be in the newspaper and on Facebook. Our favorite stories will be published the following month. Responses will be judged on creativity and the ability to communicate a story. Submit your six-word story by the 25th of each month.

Read More »

Christmas Bureau Goes Online

Families seeking help this Christmas season can turn to the Christmas Bureau this year as it has in years past, although, with a slightly different format. Families can only go online from now to November 6th to apply for benefits.

Read More »

2020: All Trick, No Treat?

The Deer Park Car Club had planned to bring a “Kandy Bars And Kars” event to Mix Park Halloween afternoon; however, the event was canceled. The car club didn’t specify why the Trunk or Treat wasn’t going to happen, only that they were saddened and looked forward to more events next year.

Read More »

What’s In A Street Name?

When I first moved to Deer Park 28 years ago, I noticed that the side street by my house was named Arnim. It was a word I had never heard before and seemed awkward.

Read More »

Deer Park Artists Eligible for Spokane Arts Grant Awards

Deer Park artists and arts organizations are eligible for the 3rd round of the Spokane Arts Grant Awards (SAGA), which has a due date of October 1st. Melissa Huggins, the Executive Director of Spokane Arts, a nonprofit that manages the annual grant program, said any artist or arts organization located within 40 miles of Spokane is eligible to apply.

Read More »

Local Talent: A Wheel With Many Spokes

A successful art practice is akin to a wheel with many spokes, according to Harry Mestyanek. Mestyanek, a retired landscape architect, is now a full time ceramicist and potter. “You must be knowledgeable [and] proficient at many things,” he adds. “In the practice of ceramics and pottery you wear many hats.”

Read More »
Featured Sponsor
Thank You For Your Support!
Featured Sponsor
Thank You For Your Support!