Here We Go Around Again

While the public has mixed views on the roundabout concept, it does seem to keep the flow of traffic moving at our current intersections within the city limits. And, while there may be minor fender benders, the risk of a serious accident is greatly reduced. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, roundabouts reduce accidents by 75% where stop signs were previously used for traffic control.

Roger Krieger confirmed that the city has been able to secure the rights to the land to make a new roundabout at the intersection of Crawford and Colville. In doing so, the city has already removed the large trees that were at the intersection. No homes will be relocated or destroyed for this roundabout. The plan is to extend the renovation further down Colville to 2nd or 3rd Street in conjunction with the new construction, bringing a refreshed roadway and sidewalks to the area. This roundabout should help with the congestion many have voiced concerns about over the years, with the backup of traffic, swerving to avoid collisions, and the collisions themselves.

Mr. Krieger  shared that the City of Deer Park has filed for, and is in the running for, a grant for Federal dollars through the Spokane Regional Transportation Council (SRTC), and is currently applying for state dollars through the Transportation Improvement Board (TIB). If the SRTC grant is approved, these dollars will cover 86.50% of the cost of the project. If the TIB fund is also authorized, this will cover the other 13.50%. If either does not come through, the city will be responsible for figuring out the budget for the funding.

Based on deadlines, Mr. Krieger does not expect to receive a decision on the funding from SRTC and TIB until the end of this year. This would, in an ideal situation, allow the design process to begin in the spring or summer of 2019, with the construction to take place in the spring of 2020. Construction on a main route is always difficult, and having the ability to completely close the intersection during the process is ideal; however, nothing has yet been solidified as the timeline is still a couple of years in the future.

Featured Sponsor
Thank You For Your Support!
  • All
  • Animals
  • Archive
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Business
  • Classifieds
  • Community
  • Featured
  • Garden
  • Letters To The Editor
  • Local News
  • Obituaries
  • Opinion
  • Schools
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized
  • Weather
  • All
  • Animals
  • Archive
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Business
  • Classifieds
  • Community
  • Featured
  • Garden
  • Letters To The Editor
  • Local News
  • Obituaries
  • Opinion
  • Schools
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Uncategorized
  • Weather

Share this!

Featured Sponsor
Thank You For Your Support!

Read more news.

Donald Morris

Donald Morris, 83, passed away on July 27, 2022 in Greeley, Colorado. He was born to Arthur and Pearl (Welliver) Morris on May 18, 1939 in Spokane, Washington.
Donald moved to California at the age of 17 where he attended and graduated from the College of San Mateo in Northern California, with an AA degree in English.

Read More »

Chicken Discussion At City Hall

Mary Hathaway stood up to address the ownership of chickens within Deer Park city limits. There had been flyers posted around town and posts on social media to gather support for the meeting held on July 20th. The room was packed with some people standing in the halls that wanted to be a part of this discussion and hear the response of council members along with city staff. Mayor Tim Verzal has asked Mary Hathaway to represent the group in favor of chickens; she accepted the role with the support of those in attendance who thought it was an eggs-cellent idea.

Read More »

Subscribe to our emails

Use the form below to sign up to receive news via email at no cost to you.