Detailed Information

The Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) was created to be a comprehensive agency exclusively dedicated to the social, emotional, and physical well-being of children, youth, and families regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or other socioeconomic factors. We believe our workforce should reflect the communities we serve and are actively searching for candidates that reflect that diversity.
We’re looking for CPS-Investigations, CPS-FAR, and CFWS to join our Newport office to protect children from harm, working toward the common goal of eliminating child and youth outcome disparities based on race and ethnicity. Our vision is that “All Washington’s children and youth grow up safe and healthy-thriving physically, emotionally, and educationally, nurtured by family and community.”
If you are passionate about caring for children and providing them the support they desperately need and ensuring they are being provided the tools and comfort to thrive within placement, this Social Service Specialist 3 position may be perfect for you! This position requires critical thinking in all aspects of the job, from daily decision-making to case planning/management. Although this position can be highly stressful, it is a noble and rewarding career.
The Opportunity: These positions may be hired as an “in-training” Social Service Specialists  2, or 3; with the Goal Class being the Social Service Specialist 3 level.
We are recruiting multiple Social Service Specialists who will have the opportunity to work in one of the following programs:
Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigations- CPS Specialists investigate allegations of child abuse or neglect and provide the appropriate recommendations and services for families.
Family Assessment Response (CPS -FAR)– is an alternative CPS pathway for families with low and moderate allegations of child abuse or neglect. Families who qualify for FAR may choose the FAR or Investigative pathway. In FAR, there is no investigation and no finding of whether the alleged abuse or neglect occurred. Social workers work with the family to keep children safe and build on their strengths to establish the community support the family needs to be successful in the long term.
Child and Family Welfare Services (CFWS): CFWS Specialists provide a variety of strategies to achieve permanency for children. Permanency planning involves decisive, time-limited, and goal-oriented activities to maintain children within their families of origin or place them with other permanent families. Permanence plans include the goal for permanency, the tasks required to achieve the goal, and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple vacancies on an as-needed basis. Applications may be kept on file for future vacancies.
Some of what you will do:
Conduct investigations into allegations of abandonment, abuse, or child neglect.  

  • Lead assessments and interventions on assigned intakes to determine child safety and take protective action as needed.
  • Complete psychosocial and other assessments to determine the need, extent, and direction of intervention.
  • Interview children, families, and collateral sources to assess risks to children, ascertain facts, gather social history, and determine family needs.
  • Assess the need for out-of-home placement, preparing and counseling families through the process.
  • Create referrals to appropriate law enforcement agencies, medical evaluations, and forensic interviews.
  • Prepare and counsel families for the need for out-of-home placements.
  • Develop and monitor safety plans for children and complete health and safety visits.
  • Work with diverse family groups, including military and Native American families.
  • Provide support services such as counseling, problem resolution, guidance, and referrals to advocacy and mediation.
  • Provide short-term voluntary placement of children with licensed foster care or relative resources, working with families to resolve abuse or neglect.
  • Provide court documents for judiciary review and decisions regarding the welfare of the children.

How do I apply? 
Complete your applicant profile online and attach the following documents:

  • College transcripts
  • Resume
Contact Information